This update is dedicated to Austin, aka my FIL, aka Pops, who commented to Julian that we don't update the blog nearly enough. I know, I know. I'm sorry! I'm just too busy marinating babies, sleeping, reading, and cooking. It's been raining here, so swimming has been a miss recently. (Did you notice I just typed, '... a miss'?! That is very much Australian speak.)
So, what has been going on here?
Sick Ickies
Well, Julian was sick last weekend, which led to a canceled BBQ. He bounced back after 4 or so days of feeling icky, and Kara & babies managed to avoid catching the ick. Hip hooray!
The Dog Did It
We had a dog stay with us overnight on Saturday. She had been found in the front yard, with a shock collar still attached, emitting shocks - poor thing! She was an older mix, with some Doberman in her. She was sweet to people, but poorly trained and did not know how to walk on a leash, among other things. She also lunged at the cat when it was eating the dog's food, which was the first indication that she was not trustworthy... I just didn't have a good feeling about her, and I love animals. The neighbors left a report with the local animal shelter and we placed a 'found dog' ad on Craigslist. No bites - apparently no one was looking for her. On Sunday the neighbor took the dog for a walk, during which she attacked another neighborhood dog. We're talking full on neck bite grab of a little white dog, thrashing it around before dropping it to the ground with two puncture wounds. Needless to say, the found dog found its way to the animal shelter that day - no use risking any more animals. One of the neighbors' chickens had been found dead the day before, and well, we think it was probably the dog. So although Julian and I would like a dog at some point, I'm relieved that she is gone. Bad fit, bad timing!!!
Mum's Tummy
A couple of days ago I decided to check out my belly below the crest of the baby bump. What was I looking for? Stretch marks! What did I find? The beginnings of stretch marks! They aren't too red and angry, but they are there. And so, I am joining the club of mummy tummies. I think I might have to buy a red sharpie and draw on Julian's belly to match...
Feed the Freezer
The freezer is hungry. Yesterday it ate three chicken dump recipes, which are essentially raw chicken pieces mixed with spices and other ingredients in freezer bags. The day before you get hungry (that's the trickiest part!), you thaw the chix, and then bake the mixture in a casserole. Voila! Gourmet! We have: sweet salsa chicken, lime pepper chicken, and citrus ginger chicken. The freezer also ate a meatloaf yesterday. Yum. Tomorrow it will get some lentil soup. Which leads me to this conclusion: I saved a crap ton of money (which I didn't have anyway, so good thing) when I ate vegetarian. I mean, dead animal parts sold in the supermarket are expensive! Especially if, as someone who consciously thinks about other living beings and eating them and putting processed stuff in ones body in general, you aim to purchase the meat that hasn't been treated with antibiotics and growth hormones and has preferably been able to enjoy at least part of its artificially shortened life feeding 'on the range'. Now, I don't know how much merit the 'range chicken' label has in the grocery store - could mean as little as the 'cage free' labels on eggs, where the requirement could acquiesce to something as lax as providing a 1'x2' window to get outside into a 4'x4' pen, even if 2,000 chickens occupy the hen house and there's no way in creation that all of those chickens are enjoying fresh air and sun whilst laying their eggs. Hmph. Thank goodness the neighbors are rearing five more chicks :) I mean, those chickens have it good (aside from running the risk of being killed by lost dogs). They run around the yard at free will, they scrape and make a complete mess of our planting beds with no fear of repercussions, they even hang out and occasionally poop all over our front and back stoops. Which is another reason why if you ever visit us, kindly leave your shoes at the front door.
Friday, February 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment