Sunday, April 27, 2008

Another Adult Weekend

That is, we're enjoying another surprisingly 'free' weekend! Today marks our 'estimated due date', which we'd like to remind folks is an estimated date, not an expiration date ;) Babies are still fine, and we'll think about trying to convince them to join us on the outside later this week if they haven't yet started/completed the process. Among other techniques, apparently acupuncture can be quite successful in starting labor. Woo hoo needles here I come.

Yesterday we went hiking at a local open space preserve (yes, I said hiking... it was a steep hike, too!). It was a wonderfully blue-skied day, and it felt so good to be out in the woods enjoying the spring wildflower show. Just a few of the flowers that we saw: Monkeyflower, Starflower, and Wild Red Columbine.
To cool off after our hike, we went to the local pool. Julian the fish-boy swam a million laps, and Kara the buoyant whale swam enough laps to relax a tight back before retiring to a shady spot in the grass to eat some granola bars!
And last night, we washed the cars :)

It's a lovely cool morning, and I'm enjoying the dawn light and the scent of roses wafting into the house through the screen door. Though I've been awake since 5am, I'm grateful to have slept from midnight to 5... it's been an erratic sleep week, to say the least. The night before last, the babies decided to throw a 2 hour rave filled with dance moves quite new to all of us. We're talking full-blown baby grooving - hands here, feet there, booty shakes and body gyrations. It would have been comical except for the fact that their excited nonstop kinesthetics were taking place between the hours of 12:30-2:30am, I was exhausted, and you can imagine the discomfort of two 6 pound balls of bone busting moves in your abdomen. How I did not hemorrhage internally, I have no idea. Thankfully Julian was a saint when I woke him up by bawling out of pain and frustration, and eventually the babies tired themselves out. It seems that the babies have rearranged themselves a bit post-dancing, so that they are both settled a bit lower (hip hooray!). Now, however, Footsie's feet aren't obviously popping out of my belly but we think are instead stationed behind Head-Head's head... poor Head-Head must really be getting a whoopin' now!

Off to enjoy the day...

3 comments:

Chris and Mike said...

I guess it was their last hurrah before the big day :)! I'm glad you got to get out and enjoy the outdoors - smooth sailing you you and the babes!!! Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Well you're going to have to put them in dance classes once they're old enough. Maybe they were practising the show they are going to put on for you once they're out, that's why they're taking their time-gotta perfect those moves!

Anonymous said...

That was me above, by the way! Forgot to add my name

-Catherine