Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Things People Don't Tell You, Part 2

The babies and mama are doing well. The stomach skin continues to feel tautly stretched, and below, nothing but baby parts. The stretch marks are incredible. We're at 36.5 weeks. Our goal, at the very least, is for the beans to stay in past this weekend, 37 weeks - thereby avoiding pre term labor and associated NICU (in most likely scenarios).

So, on to the fun part of this post: Things People Don't Tell You, Part 2, assertions about pregnancy that, well, no one tells you!

- Stretch marks happen. Again, this is not a case of your skin being youthfully preserved by genetics or cocoa butter lubrication 5x a day (both of which, I might add, I had in my favor). And no, they don't go away. They may fade from angry reds and purples to whites and silvers, with time... or so I hear. The bottom line is: babies happen, stretch marks happen, and tankinis happen.

- Julian wanted me to emphasize the gassy-ness of pregnant ladies, which, by the way, isn't just a first trimester plague. I am amazed that not only do I still have a husband, but that he continues to sleep in the same bed with me.

- People talk to you. Or rather, they ask you the same questions over and over and over and over and over. It goes like this:
Complete stranger: "When are you due?"
Me: "End of April."
Stranger: "End of April... hmmmm (thinking in head how HUGE my belly is) Are you having a girl or a boy?"
Me: "We don't know."
Majority of Strangers: "What?!! You don't KNOW?! Oh my!"
Occasional Stranger: "Oh, wow, that's wonderful - a surprise!"

If I'm feeling up to it, I'll explain the twins part. The only stranger who ever guessed twins was a homeless man whizzing past me on a bike the other day who proclaimed, "ohhhh... she gonna have twins!" And I smiled and said, "Yes, sir!"
On most days, the endless questioning is tiring to an already tired big fat pregnant lady. If you want to ask me something, how about asking if I need help with the groceries or something like that? Then I'll talk :)

1 comment:

Chris and Mike said...

Just wait till you're strolling around with TWO cute babes - I'm predicting swarms :) Just kidding - but you know it's true (so I hear :)
Good luck to the four of you if I don't get to say it before the big day. You all have been in my thoughts - I wish you peace, tranquility, patience, smooth deliveries and a joyful new beginning to your new lives!
Love you - take care!!!