Today we had an appointment with the MW. Things (that is, Thing 1 and Thing 2) are good. While we're at a bit over 38 weeks pregnant (of an average 40-42), my stomach is measuring at 48 weeks.
- Fundal height (that is, of a uterus) can be measured from the outside. Interestingly enough, the centimeters of height usually correspond with weeks of pregnancy - one of life's 'huh!' neat tricks. If you are carrying twins, however, you can expect to measure around 7 weeks ahead (or 10, as it were today).
- You may actually feel your stomach stretch. Sometimes the skin itches/hurts/etc. If you are really lucky, you can even get a bumpy red rash called PUPPS which begins on the abdomen and then can spread to back, legs, and arms and makes you go crazy wanting to scratch your skin off. It will go away after you deliver the babies... however, if you don't care to wait that long, you can take dandelion root and/or nettle leaf capsules. They are liver cleansers, and PUPPS is thought to be a sign that your liver is on overload, which is common with pregnancy but can lead to toxemia - read: bad. So if you're pregnant and you itch, eat your encapsulated greens.
PS. Your OB will likely not know about the dandelion/nettle leaf solution and will offer you a prescription of steroid cream. Run away! Or just smile and say, "Maybe I'll call you for that prescription if the itching becomes unbearable."
- Linea negra. It's exactly that. A dark line that runs vertically over the midline of your belly. The more pigmentation your skin has, the greater chance you'll get one when pregnant. I think it looks kind of cool... well, cooler than the stretch marks.
- People will start phoning/calling you even more at the end of pregnancy just to 'see how you are doing'. Riiiight. I'm fine, thanks! What they mean is, 'Have you had the baby/babies yet?' or 'When are you going to have the baby/babies?' Hmmmmm... I don't know, where's my Magic 8 ball?
- Did I mention that people talk with you and feel at liberty to say anything? Today a woman asked me if my due date was yesterday. So I'm left pondering whether I punch her in the face before or after answering her question. Not that I would punch her, or that I even thought about it, honestly... but um, that's not funny to me at all, lady. Now carry my groceries for me! And quick, before I go into labor!
- If you are pregnant, ask your previously pregnant girlfriends about the 'weird stretching thing' to help prepare your body for birthing. I have heard from the wise ones before me that it's a good idea... thanks, Erin! :)
- Your cuddly cat will not comprehend why it's not kosher to lay on top of your belly - you move the cat for the tenth time as you struggle to breathe and retain the contents of your stomach.
That's all for now, folks. I'm tired, as usual, and I think we've about run out of things peopled don't tell you about pregnancy. We may return with a birthing/parenting/newborn series... time will tell.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I know exactly what you mean about people calling you a LOT at this point of your pregnancy... I've wanted to call but I remembered how I would just cringe when the phone would ring, just wanting to rest a bit more and not say the same thing I just told a million other people (yep, still pregnant, yep, about to pop, no we don't know if it's a boy or girl, no we don't have names yet...) I will patiently look forward to the news. May your itchy belly and bowling ball about to drop sensation be replaced with two beautiful and healthy babies! Love you guys!
-Erin
Post a Comment